The number one financial concern for Gen X parents is how to pay for college. College costs continue to rise and as a result, our national student loan debt has ballooned from $240 billion in 2003 to more than $1.6 trillion today. Planners' roles have to go beyond simply telling clients to save for the cost of college. Learn more about Joe Messinger's innovative College Pre-Approval process that demystifies financial aid and guides families through the maze.
To become a college planning expert for your clients, learn more about our full course, The Financial Planner's Guide to College Funding Advice.
Level of Complexity: Overview - General review of subject from a broad perspective/dive into basic knowledge on a skill or topic. For newer CFP or unfamiliar with subject
March 04, 2020
- Learn how the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) determines a families expected family contribution.
- Learn how help families set a budget and shop for schools based on the four-year-out-of-pocket cost, not the sticker price.
- Learn how to help clients maximize financial aid, minimize student loans, and ultimately pay less for college.
- Discuss how to find schools that award generous scholarships regardless of need.
- Understand the college financial aid system and the vastly different policies at different institutions.
- Discuss the key differences in the FAFSA vs. the CSS Profile for determining a families demonstrated financial aid need.